I was not accepted to University of Minnesota. I don’t know why. Maybe because my application was late. Maybe because Wonder Woman and her 50 cousins applied this year. It hardly matters at this point. What matters is deciding what’s next.
On January 1, Groupon had a great deal on the 150-hour TOEFL course. I bought it as a back-up plan. I’m planning to sign up soon so I can get started. I know a few people who have taught English abroad, so I’m going to pick their brains.
I will probably beat cheeks out of the USA in August or thereabouts. My lease at the Healing Garage ends July 31. And since many schools outside the US start in January, I think I’d have trouble finding work if I started looking in late October-December. It seems like, based on my limited research, many places have a high turnover rate for ESL teachers, so mid-year would not be a terrible time to job-hunt.
Good things about not getting in:
- I don’t have to retake the Spanish test I failed back in October (glad I put off retaking it!).
- I don’t have to do the work for my Master’s (at least, not this year).
- I can live abroad and maybe (ideally, necessarily) learn another language.
- Maybe I can get some interesting stories out of it and write a Fringe show or a memoir or a novel, or at least tell some cute cocktail party stories.
- Technology means I’ll be able to keep in touch with people, download Kindle books, etc. It’s not like I’m planning to go off the grid.
Bad things about not getting in:
- If I go abroad, I will miss my cat. I’ve known her her whole life, and she’s a bit clingy.
- I don’t know how to get prescription meds in other countries. Or prescription glasses. Or health care.
- Who will cut my hair? Will I be able to find henna? Shut up, it’s a serious concern. If you could see some of the awful haircuts I’ve had in my life….
- I’m open to working in Asia, but people there tend to be of a very different physical type than me. What if I can’t find underpants to cover my fat American ass?
- I don’t know what to do with all my shit. I am mentally making lists of what I can sell, what I can give away, what I can keep, what I can bring. And if I keep stuff, I don’t know where I’ll store it.
This weekend is set aside for processing this news. Stew now, be proactive starting Monday.